this just in…
LEGOS ARE COOL!
You can basically create anything with a Lego. Just google “built with legos.” It would be a shame to only build something boring… You can basically create anything in your life… it would be a shame to only build something boring..
God is creator. You are created in His image. You have also been given the ability to create.
Creativity is spiritual. Usually we think of prayer, worship, studying God’s word, etc. as being spiritual, but not creativity.
The truth is that God has placed gifts, callings, wisdom, dreams, & passion within you. You do not have these things by accident, but it is the creator showing up in your life.
Are you ready to create? It’s what you are built for!
Redemption Church is a nondenominational Church in Plano Texas. Our mission is to declare the good news and see others become followers of Jesus Christ. Our vision is to be a 1st Century Church connecting to a 21st Century world. To bring the community, the power, passion & dedication of that 1st century church to the fast paced, technologically advanced, and complex world of the 21st century.
We currently meet on Sunday afternoons at 3pm at the Corner of Parker Rd & Alma in Plano Tx. We would love to greet you in person.
Our lead pastor is Chris Fluitt.
Lego Church 4 – Built to Create
Sermon notes by Chris Fluitt
Redemption Church Plano TX
Lego Church 4 – Built to Create
Lego Church Title
We are in the 4th week of our Lego Church series… You can learn a lot from a Lego.
- You are created to connect with others. We are built to build together in community.
- In order to build on something that will last you must build on something unchanging.
- You can’t give up! You need to keep building. God will supply everything you need, just keep building!
Today I am bringing you something that is not normally heard in Church, and that needs to change.
You are Built to Create
You are built to be creative, vibrant, and full of life. You are not built to blend into the crowd but to stand out from the crowd. You are built to change your environment for the good.
You are created for so much more than..
- Attending a church.
- Being “saved.”
- Wearing a WWJD bracelet or a Jesus fish bumper sticker.
God has built you to create!
When we started this series we gave each of you a Lego brick. To be specific the piece we gave you is the Lego 8-stud 2×4. It is the most common Lego. It is a very simple Lego Brick.
If I were to take two 8-stud 2×4 bricks, how many combinations could I create? (24 different combinations)
If I were to add one more 2×4 brick, 3 IN ALL, how many combinations could I create? (1,060 different combination)
Now what if I took six 8-stud 2×4 bricks, how many combinations could I create? (With the aid of computers, the exact number of combinations has been calculated as 915,103,765!)
If something as simple as an 8 stud 2×4 Lego brick can create over 915.1 million possibilities, don’t you think it is safe to say that WE AS CONNECTED PEOPLE OUGHT TO CREATE MORE POSSIBILITIES IN OUR WORLD.
I would tell you that you and I are vastly more complex and versatile that an 8 stud Lego.
Your Bible tells you that 1 person can chase a 1000, and 2 can chase 10,000. (Joshua 23:10, Deuteronomy 32:30)
I need some creative people to help me build today. As you came in today we selected 3 people and gave them pieces from this small Lego set.
I have in my hand one of the smallest Lego sets I could find. It includes ___________ pieces and builds 3 different vehicles.
I want you 3 to come up here and on this table attempt to build the airplane. Here are the directions.
So I am talking to you today about creativity, passion, and an ability to dream today. And you might be saying.. “well this isn’t a very spiritual subject. I thought we were going to learn from God’s word… not play with toys.” I want to help you understand that…
Creativity is spiritual
Of all the things that are spiritual, we may be reluctant to include creativity. Prayer, worship, studying the Word of God, witnessing to others, giving tithes and offerings… but not creativity…
I have some scripture to share with you but first I thought I would share a list of creative people in your Bible. Here is a countdown…
- Jethro – Moses’ father in-law, gives creative & wise leadership advice. (Exodus 18)
- Mary the mother of Jesus wrote a song in Luke 1.
- Solomon was an artistic poet & writer and full of wisdom. Under his oversight the nation of Israel became a center for the world’s greatest art, the pinnacle being the temple.
- Luke in addition to being a physician, the historical journalist of the book Acts, and writer of the Gospel of Luke, he may also have been a painter. There are extra-biblical accounts of Luke painting as a way to visualize the happenings within scripture.
- Joseph had dreams. He interpreted dreams. He schemed a perfect plan to reveal himself to his brothers without causing them harm. He showed leadership in every area of his life… servant, prisoner, and 2nd in command over all of Egypt. With God’s information he devised a plan to carry a nation through a 7 year famine.
- Psalmists who wrote approximately half of the book of Psalms. The families of Asaph, Korah. 2 brothers Heman (not the master of the universe by the power of grayskull…) & Ethan. Moses! And even Solomon wrote these very artistic scriptures.
- King David wrote about half of the book of Psalms. He was a song writer and a skilled musician. He was also good with a slingshot!
- Paul the apostle creatively brought the gospel of Jesus to many different cultures. He would present Christ in a way that Jews would receive. He would present that same Christ to the gentile philosophers of Greece. He would offer a different approach to reach within their culture and present the Lord in a receivable way. Paul became all things to all men that He might win them to Christ! (1 Corinthians 9:22)
Let’s skip 2 for now and go straight to #1
- Jesus/God. He created the whole world. He created all of mankind. You are fearfully and wonderfully made by Him. You have been knit together by him (God knits!)
His artistry on this planet alone outdoes any artist. The power of His words out do any writer. His wisdom is the source of all wisdom.
When Christ shares this wisdom He used creative parables that even people that have trouble quoting scripture and can explain the point of His teaching.
God is the most creative. End of story! By the way… you are created after His likeness… in His image… Don’t you think that means you should carry some of the Creativity of the Father within you!?
- Bezalel is an amazing creative talent in your Bible… but because everyone already knows about Bezalel we will move on… …oh wait… You don’t know about Bezalel? J
Let me set this scripture reading up for us. The Children of Israel have been delivered from slavery in Egypt and are now journeying to the promise land. The Children of Israel were commanded to build a portable Tabernacle for the LORD. This was to be the dwelling place of God and a lot of time, effort, & thought needed to go into its building.
Exodus 35:29 All the Israelite men and women who were willing brought to the LORD freewill offerings for all the work the LORD through Moses had commanded them to do.(NIV)
Exodus 35:30 Then Moses said to the Israelites, “See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah,(NIV)
Exodus 35:31 and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts–(NIV)
Exodus 35:32 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze,(NIV)
Exodus 35:33 to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship.(NIV)
Is Creativity spiritual? Are the gifts that are within you placed there by God?
Everyone that was willing gave free will contributions to God’s House. But there are some that God has chosen and gifted for special purposes. AND BY THE HOLY SPIRIT Bezalel was gifted with wisdom, ability, craftsmanship, artistic creativity…
Creativity is spiritual
God Has gifted you by the Spirit!
You have talents… placed by God.
You have dreams… placed by God.
You have wisdom… placed by God.
You have a God vision… Placed by God.
You have a passion to do certain things… Placed by God.
You have a chosen calling… Placed by God.
Your hands are good at certain things… Placed by God.
You have a way with words… Placed by God.
You have an ability to play music… Placed by God.
WE DO NOT HONOR OUR GIFTINGS ENOUGH! WE DO NOT RECOGNIZE AND SUPPORT EACHOTHER’S GIFTINGS ENOUGH!
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.(NIV)
Proverbs 22:29 Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men.(NIV)
These wonderful folks were not able to finish their building project, and here is the reason why. There are some missing pieces in this congregation. Missing pieces please come up here…
What if Bezalel would have withheld the gift God had given Him? Do you think God would have taken that ability away?
You would think that God would take back the gifting He gives you… but that is not true.
Romans 11:29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.(NIV)
God has given you the missing piece and it is up to you to use it.
You are the missing piece. You are someone’s missing piece. What you have to offer to your family, community, church… is the missing piece.
Those gifts… that calling will continue to lay dormant until you start using them…
As I close today…
Here is what you need to know…
The person you are, the gifts, the passion, the ability, the dreams… it is not by random chance… It has all been placed there by the Holy Spirit.
There are some writers in this church… don’t you dare be sheepish or apologetic about your passion and gifting.
There are musician rock stars in this church… Go after your dream and make sure that God is front and center in your creativity, because He is the one that has placed this gift within you.
People of wisdom and business sense… Not just everyone has that! You are the missing piece!
You are feeling a call that you don’t understand… maybe a call to do something in God’s church… You don’t know if it is God or if you are just being silly. Bezalel would tell you… It is not silly! It is the Holy Spirit.
You need to know that God’s Holy Spirit is at work within you calling you into the big, the bold, and the creative.
Here is what you need to do… You need to bring your free will offering. STOP BEING A MISSING PIECE. You need to ask the giver of the gift to give you the wisdom, the faith, the boldness…